Friday, July 07, 2006

blooming most recklessly

my first blog. oh boy. perhaps i should begin by introducing myself.

hello. i'm shannon.

i wonder if this is how most blogs start? there's a fumbling introduction, some confusion about how to address the audience (what audience?), a truckload of self-consciousness and you're off.

further introduction.

i manage a small team at a large entertainment company that builds and publishes video games. my team is responsible for capturing and sharing the knowledge of the people who make the video games. at this large entertainment company, i have thus far is worked with my team to build a knowledge base where we collect and share the knowledge, and to actively document the ongoing lessons being learned by people in our studios all over the world. Part of my job is managing my staff, part is creating a strategy for my team to improve the knowledge base as well as all the processes that go into populating it with useful knowledge, and a bigger and bigger part is trying to help create a strategy for the company that will improve the way we collectively communicate and share knowledge internally.

i've tried to explain my job to my grandmother, and so far what she understands is that i work at a computer company.

in any case, i'll be using this blog to jot down my thoughts and theories on this strange and evolving field knowledge management, and to share my travels with anyone who may be interested. and off i go.

No comments: